Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Have you gone mental (XV)

I've been reading about healing for the person with mixed depression-anxiety.What does an individual look like who possess this disorder? According to Thomas Marra in his excellent book: "Depressed and Anxious" people who are experiencing the full brunt of depession-anxiety often include the following:

1. Procrastination

2. Doubt that my energy will result in any significant changes in my life

3. I depend on others provide things that are important to me

4. I dread change

5. The world frightens me and is not generally a safe place. I need to look for safe places to feel comfort

6. My feelings control my life. Depression or anxiety signal me to stop, label this as a bad day and virtually give up. These disorders are immobilizing.

7. I am poweless to control my life.


Many of these characteristics are or have been a part of my life. At some point, usually depression-anxiety renders one hopeless that they will "never get better". This seems like a rational thought to those who have suffered from this disorder.
I have certainly had this thought often, in my 20 year struggle with depression- anxiety.

I am taking a mixed spiitual-psychological approach to moving toward healing. I'll describe this approach soon in future blogs.

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment