I've been reading about healing for the person with mixed depression-anxiety.What does an individual look like who possess this disorder? According to Thomas Marra in his excellent book: "Depressed and Anxious" people who are experiencing the full brunt of depession-anxiety often include the following:
2. Doubt that my energy will result in any significant changes in my life
3. I depend on others provide things that are important to me
4. I dread change
5. The world frightens me and is not generally a safe place. I need to look for safe places to feel comfort
6. My feelings control my life. Depression or anxiety signal me to stop, label this as a bad day and virtually give up. These disorders are immobilizing.
7. I am poweless to control my life.
Many of these characteristics are or have been a part of my life. At some point, usually depression-anxiety renders one hopeless that they will "never get better". This seems like a rational thought to those who have suffered from this disorder.
I have certainly had this thought often, in my 20 year struggle with depression- anxiety.
I am taking a mixed spiitual-psychological approach to moving toward healing. I'll describe this approach soon in future blogs.
God bless you.