Monday, January 24, 2011

Have You Gone Mental? (83)

I think an effective way to face depression-anxiety is with gratefulness. I believe that anyone has human life can be grateful in some manner. I understand that, perhaps, by definition, mental illness does not induce gratefulness.

At my lowest point and now I could identify someone in my life that brought thankfulness/ gratefulness to mind. I have, at many times, listed people I am grateful for in terms of their consistent support and assistance during my past and current depression-anxiety. I could name many.

I also have had things and places that have brought a lightness to my life in some way. I like music both listening and playing. I enjoy water. Rivers, lakes, streams, and oceans come to mind. My faith community is stablizing to a great extent. In addition, I really enjoy lying on my back under a clear blue sky, look up and see the contrast of the stately evergreens in contrast to that sky. I enjoy sitting in the lot at Fort Vancouver and looking across the beautiful grounds. Sitting at Beaches on the Columbia brings a similar response as I gaze at the Columbia River and its beauty.

I am grateful for the people and places that grace my life. I am grateful for each and every person who supports me in prayer and good thoughts. The same feeling is present for places and things that have brought light to my life.

What would life be without gratefulness? For me it would not be worth living. This may be a bit extreme but the emphases may be difficult to overstate.

Typos and all ... Be grateful ... God bless you.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. If there was nothing to be grateful for...why live at all? I want to go to a park and lie on our backs on the grass. I think that would be fun for us. love you daddy, e

    ReplyDelete