Thursday, January 6, 2011

Have You Gone Mental (75)

The Holidays gave me much joy and a little pain. Having my kids and grandkids around was a joy. In addition I suffered the anxiety of being in close quarters with quite a few people. I had to check out for periods of time to my bedroom for short stints to calm my anxiety and then I could return to my loved ones. It was not them, it was me.

Another joy of the Christmas Season was taking a volunteer shift with my son ringing the bell for the Salvation Army at the Washougal Safeway as a service project through my Rotary club. Having Jeff with me helped to ward off some of the anxiety I had "doing my duty" there. It was difficult, but rewarding.

Unusual for a former preacher, I hate to ask for money. In addition strangers have not been my "longsuit" since the beginning of my illness. Jeff talked to me and kept my mind on wishing people Merry Christmas and thanking them for their gifts: nickles, dimes, quarters and many bills! After two hours we were finished and the next couple Rotarians came on. Jeff and I drove to Camas and had an ice cream cone. Ice creme has a soothing effect on me.

The days since have been up and down as usual. I am concentrating being thankful for the good and also the "bad". There is something to learn here and I am determined to do so.

I hope your Christmas Season was blessed as mine was.

Typos and all ... God Bless You

No comments:

Post a Comment